4-day workweek anti-labor — group

first_imgFor the daily minimum wage earner, ashortened workweek means a reduction in income and diminution in benefits, saidGAWA secretary general Wennie Sancho who is based here. If necessary, GAWA would launch asignature campaign rejecting the bill, said Sancho. But according to Sancho, managementsobserve the “no work, no pay” policy, thus any scheme or policy that wouldresult to the diminution of wages and benefits is anti-labor. BACOLOD City – The General Alliance ofWorkers Associations (GAWA) is opposed to the proposed four-day workweek. “We will also seek the support of theMakabayan bloc in the House to drumbeat the issue,” he added. Abante’s proposal aims to reducetraffic congestion primarily in Metro Manila, he pointed out.center_img House Minority Leader BienvenidoAbante Jr. revived a proposal for a shortened workweek in the private sectorand non-frontline national government offices, as well as the maximization oftelecommuting or work-from-home law as a way to mitigate traffic jams inleading urban centers. Sancho said GAWA would seek thesupport of all Negros congressmen to block the passage of the bill on ashortened workweek. GAWA will be seeking alliance, too,with national labor federations like the Trade Union Congress of the Philippinesand Federation of Free Workers to fight the bill.  “It should not be applied outside theNational Capital Region. We are amenable to staggered working hours as long asthere is no diminution in rank and pay,” said Sancho./PNlast_img read more

Italy clamps down on travel as virus deaths rise

first_imgROME – Two deaths from the newcoronavirus sparked fears throughout northern Italy on Saturday, as about50,000 people were poised for a weeks-long lockdown imposed by authoritiestrying to halt a further increase in infections. Prime Minister Giuseppe Conte said thatpeople living inside the affected areas in the northern regions would berestricted to those areas, while schools and businesses closed, as part ofmeasures designed to stem new infections. (AFP) Streets were largely deserted in the small Italian town of Codogno, Lodi, Lombardy, Italy. AFPcenter_img Italy on Friday became the first countryin Europe to report the death of one of its own nationals from the virus,triggering travel restrictions on about a dozen towns where the number ofpeople contaminated has continued to rise.last_img read more

Pakistan struggles to combat locust plague

first_imgThe insects have since fanned out andwreaked havoc on farms from East Africa to India before making their way intoPakistan from the desert on the country’s southwestern border with Iran. (AFP) Pakistan’s farmers are struggling tocombat the worst locust plague in nearly three decades as insect swarmsdecimate entire harvests in the country’s agricultural heartlands and send foodprices soaring. Heavy rains and cyclones sparked“unprecedented” breeding and the explosive growth of locust populationson the Arabian peninsula early last year, according to the United Nations.center_img The crisis is so severe that the government has declared a nationwide emergency and urgently appealed for help from the international community. AFPlast_img read more

4 persons jailed for ‘illegal cockfighting’

first_imgPolice identified them as Richard Pechon,51; Felix Fernando, 60; Victor Laurence Padojinog, 19; and    LloybemarAlpas, 19 – all residents of the municipality. According to Culasi municipal policestation Captain Bryan Alamo, there were about 70 persons engaging in illegalcockfighting in the area but the rest managed to escape since they havelook-outs. Detained in the lockup cell of theCulasi municipal police station, the suspects face charges for violation of ofPresidential Decree 1602, which prescribes stiffer penalties on illegalgambling./PN SAN JOSE, Antique – Four persons werecaught engaging in illegal cockfighting in Barangay Buenavista, Culasi,Antique. Police confiscated seven game fowls andP1,180 bet money from them around 4 p.m. on March 27.last_img read more

Cop, man injured in road crash

first_imgThey were rushed to two differenthospitals for medical treatment. ILOILO City – The motorcycles they wereriding crashed against each other in Barangay Agkilo, Panit-an, Capiz. The crash happened around 6:10 p.m. onApril 19. Duno was driving the motorcycle that bumped into another motorcycledriven by De Jose. Patrolman Jayson De Joseof Barangay Banggaan, Panit-an and 47-year-old Arnold Duno ofBarangay Tabuc Norte, Panit-an sustained body injuries. Duno and De Jose were now recuperating./PNlast_img read more

‘Modified’ ECQ set in NCR, two other areas

first_imgMANILA – President Rodrigo Duterte has ordered the implementation of a “modified” enhanced community quarantine (ECQ) in Metro Manila, Laguna and Cebu City that continue to be considered “high-risk” in the spread of COVID-19.This after Duterte approved Tuesday the recommendation of the Inter Agency Task Force for the Management of Emerging Infectious Disease on the gradual lifting of ECQ.“Modified ECQ is still ECQ, pero meron lang mga piling industriya na pwedeng magbukas,” Presidential spokesperson Hary Roque said.“Under modified ECQ, bubuksan natin unti unti ang ekonomiya,” he added. “Magkakaroon ng limited transportation services, suspendido pa rin ang klase sa lahat ng antas.”Under the modified ECQ, authorities will allow limited movement for accessing essential services and work, reopening of select manufacturing and processing plants at 50 percent capacity, and limited reopening of transporting services. Face-to-face classes will remain suspended for areas under modified lockdown.Roque added that the sectors that will be allowed to reopen during modified ECQ is still being finalized.Department of Health Undersecretary Maria Rosario Vergeire, meanwhile, said that the decision on which areas will be placed under modified ECQ, general community quarantine and low risk areas was based on science, not politics.“The decision was based on health. We looked at the LGU (local government unit) epidemic response framework, including case doubling time and critical care utilization rate,” Vergeir said in the same briefing.“The DOH looked at the epidemic response of LGUs to determine if the areas is high, moderate or low risk,” she added. “Nagkaroon din ng other considerations such as capacity for isolation, security as well as social and economic concerns.”Duterte first placed Metro Manila under ECQ on March 15, but this expanded the next day to cover all of Luzon until April 15. The Luzon-wide lockdown was further extended until April 30, and then another 15 days in Metro Manila and several ‘high-risk” provinces to give the government time to increase the country’s testing capacity.The country has 11,086 confirmed COVID-19 cases as of Monday – 7,123 of which are in Metro Manila. Laguna has a total of 382 cases, while Cebu City has 1,400.The number of recoveries in the country has reached 1,999 while 726 have died of the disease./PNlast_img read more

2 persons caught selling liquor in San Jose

first_imgPolice personnel inspect bottles of liquor seized from Joshua Panaligan, who was nabbed in an entrapment operation in Barangay 1, San Jose, Antique on May 20. The sale and purchase of liquors or any alcoholic beverages in this province is temporary prohibited. SAN JOSE MPS Twelve bottles of 750 ml liquor worth P7,200 (P600 each) were seized from the 28-year-old Joshua Panaligan in Barangay 1, a police report showed. Gov. Rhodora Cadiao’s Provincial Ordinance 2020-204 temporary prohibits the sale and purchase of liquors or any alcoholic beverages during the state of enhanced or general community quarantine in this province. SAN JOSE, Antique – Two persons selling overpriced liquor in secret were arrested in two separate operations here. According to police investigators, Escalona was hiding the liquor in two carton boxes placed inside a yellow sack.center_img Resident Rodrigo Escalona Sr. yielded 42 bottles of 350 ml liquor worth P12,000 in total, police said. The suspects were all detained in the custodial facility of the San Jose municipal police station, facing charges./PN Panaligan – resident of the village – was arrested around 12:35 p.m. on May 20 after selling liquor to an undercover cop in exchange for P7,000, it added.He was hiding the liquor inside a white sack.In Barangay 3, meanwhile, police apprehended a businessman around 9:30 p.m. of the same day.last_img read more

Man nabbed for ‘illegal’ cock derby

first_imgAlberto Siega was taken to the Calatrava municipal police station but his other companions managed to evade arrest.   BACOLOD City – Police arrested a man for illegal cockfighting in Barangay Dolis, Calatrava, Negros Occidental. Recovered from Siega’s possession around 5 p.m. on July 30 were three game fowls and P570 bet money.center_img Charges for violation of Presidential Decree 449 or the Cockfighting Law of 1974 will be filed against the suspect./PNlast_img

Race Across America Travels Through Area

first_imgBikers are in 8 member teams. This team traveled on St. Mary’s Road Wednesday afternoon.The annual Race Across America is making its way through Southeastern Indiana.Teams of bicyclists from around the world participate in the cross country trek that begins in Oceanside, California and finishes in Annapolis, Maryland.Area drivers may want to watch out for the riders as they cycle 24 hours a day and travel through Greensburg, Batesville and even St. Mary’s Road in Franklin County.This year, the event features English royalty as Pippa and James Middleton, the siblings of Kate, who is married to Prince William, are participating in the nationwide bike ride.The pair were in Missouri yesterday and could likely be pedaling through Southeastern Indiana Thursday or Friday.American BMX athlete Dave Mirra is also taking part in the event.last_img read more

Bulldogs Fall To Trojans In Boys MS Hoops

first_imgThe 7th grade Bulldogs lost to Sunman Dearborn 39 – 27.Colt Meyer led the team in scoring with 17 points. Also scoring was Seth Gausman 5, Hank Nobbe 3 and Dempsy Bohman with 2 points. Bohman blocked 5 shots.Batesville falls to 4 – 2 on the season and will play South Dearborn on Tuesday at home.Courtesy of Bulldogs Coach Tony Gausman.The BMS 8th Grade’s record dropped to 5-2 with a loss to Sunman Dearborn by a score of 42-31. Starter Austin Siefert left the game in the first quarter with an ankle injury.The Dogs battled well being short-handed and were up 19-18 at the half, but eventually lost steam in the 4th Q. Top scorers were Trey Heidlage with 16 points, Sam Haskamp with 11 and Lane Oesterling with 4 points.BMS plays at home next Tuesday against South Dearborn.Courtesy of Bulldogs Terry Giesting.last_img read more